Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm kinda of a big deal in American Samoa...

Crazy busy day today. We took a bus into Pago Harbor (it should be noted that we didn't actually drive into the harbor, we drove to the town by Pago), and did the usual "My name is Amber and I like aardvarks" icebreakers that you always do in new groups. Of course, we got to do it in a completely awesome setting with mountains and palm trees and oceans, oh my!

We then had to go into town and do a scavenger hunt that consisted of things like, "Take a picture of the Courthouse," and "Try not to look like too much of an idiot palagi (new word! Means 'white person'.)"

While we were doing our icebreakers, this tv crew from a local station came over and interviewed two of us: me and Mitch. (Mitch is the previously mentioned Canadian.) Now, I'm not sure just what channel these people work for, but who know? Maybe Mitch and I are soon to be kinda of big deals in American Samoa. Lol.

We also had our first Samoan language class today, but for me, the best part of the day was when we road one of the island buses back to our school, and the windows were down, the breeze blowing, the ocean just being...there, and island music blasting from the speakers. It was epic.

In other news, I'm beginning to get used to communal showers with only cold water and no real pipes, just PVC. I DID check to see if the water drained the opposite way down the drain than in the Northern Hemisphere, just to make sure all those elementary teachers that told us that weren't lying. They weren't. It does.

Anyway. I'm super tired. Have a lovely day!

1 comment: